Fruit Salad.

 I have mentioned before that I am Asatru, a servant of the Old Norse Gods for those of you not familiar with the name. I have been so since I was a young man, and over the years I have had to contend with members of several racist and bigoted groups that think because of my faith, I will naturally share their views.


I don't. And none of their propaganda will *ever* work on me because of a single fact:


I have an ancestor who was a respected Norse warrior who was born in the area that is now Nigeria. I won't go into detail, as the story is long, and is not the main focus of this article. But, I know that he left his village around 1160 or 1165, to travel the world and see other peoples. He eventually settled in a small village outside Storuman. 


I also know that he was *black.* The reason I know this is that at one point, the Jarl's third daughter asked her father if she could ask him to marry her. Now, this was common among lesser nobles all over Europe for both their male and female children, as they needed to show that their intended was 'worthy' of joining their family. She used his history with the clan as proof, citing how he had used his 'skin woven from the night' to sneak into enemy camps and sow confusion and disable defenses. 


The Jarl accepted this argument, and the two of them had several children, somewhere between 5 and 9, though the records are not clear on this point.


But, because these bigots can not 'see' anything but my white skin and very public faith, they assume I will be an easy convert to their cause, and over the years I have heard every single argument they make for their position.


These arguments all follow the same exact structure, something experts on the rhetoric of hate speech call "Crisis-Culprit-Solution." And once you learn to see it, you can't miss it. It goes like this:


-


Crisis: "The world is being ruled over by a shadowy cabal."


Culprit: "This cabalists are actually Zionist Jews."


Solution: "Let's send them to work camps, where we can force them to be productive members of society."


-


Crisis: "Young people today are turning from the church."


Culprit: "Witches are subverting them to their evil religion."


Solution: "Burn them."


-


Crisis: "Crime is rising in America."


Culprit: "this is happening in Black communities, because Blacks prey on each other and Whites."


Solution: "Send them back to Africa."


-


Now once you get to notice it you start to see it whenever you encounter hate speech, and can start to point it out in Anti-LGBT groups, nationalist organization, religious groups, and so on. It's like a how an expert on art history can look at a painting and without knowing the artist, can tell you where it was painted and when.


In Matthew 7:16, Yeshua talks about this very thing, saying 'You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?" The point he was making is that if you pick up an apple, you know what kind of tree it came from. Similarly, if someone spouts hateful and bigoted rhetoric, you know what kind of person they are.


This has an unfortunate side effect for me. One that over the years has become harder and harder to overlook.


-


Crisis: "Women face systematic hurdles, in the form of lower pay, reduced job advancement, and other restricted opportunities."


Culprit: "This is caused by the fact that men hate women and grow up in a culture that enforces misogyny that they are to privileged to see."


Solution: 'Smash the Patriarchy. Girl Power."


-


A tomato is a fruit. A tomato is bitter. I don't like tomatoes. And I have never understood why the rest of you swallow them so willingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you read the writing on the wall?

Jen did nothing wrong.

Under the hood.